Location: 629 RT 20 Sharon Springs New York
Some history of Country Manor Inn
The land now known as the Clausen Estate, in Sharon Springs N.Y., had been the prosperous farm of the Eldredge family— in 1799, Barnabas Eldredge built the first school in the town of Sharon for his family and neighboring children on the property. This school burned in 1843. The Eldredge family and their home was considered significant enough to be illustrated in William Roscoe’s book, History of Schoharie County, New York, published in 1882. In 1890, Henry Clausen, Jr. purchased the Manor House, as well as a small cabin west of this structure, and approximately 360 acres of land on either side of the Great Western Turnpike from Sarah Becker, daughter of David Eldredge who was instrumental in starting the Spa Era when he moved a boarding house next to the sulfur springs.
Mr. Clausen, a prominent New Yorker, and highly successful brewer, chose Sharon Springs for his summer home because of the flourishing Hop industry in the region. Other brewers also purchased homes in the area: the Schaeffer family owned a home in the lower village, the Busch family in nearby Cooperstown. Clausen’s sprawling compound continues to rival the view of the then-famous Pavilion Hotel with ninety-mile vistas over the Mohawk Valley into the Adirondack and Green Mountains of Vermont.